- 8 slices Dempster’s® White Bread
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) pizza sauce
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz (60 g) sliced pepperoni
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 small red pepper, finely diced
- 4 tsp (20 mL) olive oil
Spread pizza sauce evenly over 4 slices of bread. Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella. Top evenly with pepperoni, mushrooms and red pepper. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella; cap with remaining bread. Brush outside of sandwiches with olive oil.
Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions. Add sandwiches to waffle iron. Cook for about 5 minutes or until golden brown on both sides.
• You can substitute your favourite pizza toppings; try olives, cooked sausage, onions, fresh basil or jarred artichokes.
• Alternatively, cook in panini press or pan-fry sandwiches, pressing with heavy weight until golden brown on both sides.