- 8 slices Dempster’s ® Gluten Zero Whole Wheat Bread
- 4 tsp (20 mL) mustard
- 8 leaves romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Thousand Island Dressing (Gluten-Free)
- 1 large red onion, sliced into rings and grilled
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- Beef patties:
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
Beef Patties: Mix together ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, Worces-tershire sauce, garlic, salt and pepper until combined. Divide into 4 portions; shape each into square 1/4-inch-thick patty to fit bread slices.
In large nonstick skillet, heat half of the oil and butter over medium heat; cook patties in batches, for 3 to 5 minutes per side or until cooked through and no longer pink inside, adding remaining oil and butter as needed.
Spread mustard over half of the slices of bread; layer lettuce, patties, Thousand Island dressing, grilled onions and Swiss cheese over top. Cap with remaining bread.
Preheat panini press according to manufacturer’s instructions. Grill sandwiches for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.